Advocate and professional skills trainer experienced in auditing, educating, and increasing access across: intellectual disability services, sexuality education, violence prevention, trauma care and healing, and student services. Dedicated to universal design, equity, justice, with specialized expertise at the intersection of disability, education, and sexual citizenship.
Shortcuts to Each Section
Erin Basler, MEdSkillsGeneralized SkillsTrainings & Certifications:AccomplishmentsSPEAKER, MENSA ANNUAL GATHERING 2017REPORT WRITER, MA INCLUSIVE CONCURRENT EDUCATION INITIATIVECO-TRAINER, MA DDS OFFICE OF LEARNING & DEVELOPMENTKEYNOTE SPEAKER, HEALTHY TEEN NETWORK CONFERENCEExperience HighlightsHarvard UniversityEducation & Community Engagement SpecialistConsultancyReport Writer, Summer ConveningNew Hope, Inc.Project Director/Disability Outreach CoordinatorCommunity Engagement SpecialistThe Center For Sexual Pleasure & HealthEducation CoordinatorBrand ManagerIntern & Volunteer ManagerMass Department of Development ServicesEducational Intern, MA DDS Office of Learning and Development, Springfield, MA Direct Care Worker, various agencies, 2006 - 2013Education
- Accessibility monitoring and service gap analysis
- Curriculum and Training development
- Access remediation planning
- Grant writing and management
- Policy & procedural development
- Organizational capacity building (systemic and workforce-based)
- Needs Assessments
- Program & strategic planning
Social media management, content development, graphic design using Canva and Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier
- MA DPH Sexual Assault Advocate Pre Service Training (September 2016, 20J/K status upheld)
- MA Intimate Partner Abuse Education Program (June 2018, RESPECT Facilitator Training)
- Restorative Practice in Campus Environments (Spring 2021, SDU)
Eugenics: Improving the Human Race, or Scientific Validation for Racism? | JUL 2017
An overview of eugenics history in the U.S., including modern-day and near future Eugenics Influenced Practices, a framework for recognizing eugenical roots in policy, medicine, and social norms.
Summer Convening, 2018
Prepared summary report for the summer convening, which gathered stakeholders across education access, disability services, sexuality education, and intimate violence prevention to better understand the intersectional needs of transition age youth enrolled in the program.
Human sexuality, relationships, and social skills: A training of trainers | 2011, 2014-onward
At various times, updated, facilitated, guest lectured, provided specialized information, and developed resources for the 8-week training of trainers and its 40-hours of prerequisite training focused on developing core capacities of specialized sexuality educators
Sex positivity, It’s super simple. | OCT 2019
Aimed at recognizing the where contemporary definitions of sex positivity fall short and dreaming better, inclusive, boundaries for the sex positive community after #metoo.
NOV 2019 - present, Office of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response
- Develop and implement prevention education programs, community outreach materials, social media content, and public-facing messages around issues of sexual harassment, relationship violence, community harm, stalking, and trauma for the Harvard community.
- Represent the office in cross-unit collaborations to increase programming for students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
- Provide advocacy and service navigation around accommodations and supportive measures related to trauma.
Summer 2018, MA Inclusive College Enrollment Initiative, Boston, MA
Prepared the summary report for the summer convening, which gathered stakeholders across education access, disability services, sexuality education, and intimate violence prevention to better understand the intersectional needs of transition age youth enrolled in the program. As the report writer, my duties included:
- Consult in planning and development of the convening
- Collaborate with table facilitators to collect themes and individual notes
- Collate and analyze the materials and notes collected during training to identify themes, learning needs, service gaps, and promising practice ideas
- Collect resources and develop appendices to share with attendees and other stakeholders
Learn more about MAICEI & the Convening.
Read the Summary Report.
FEB 2017 - DEC 2020
- Managed $500k access development grant under the Training and Services to End Violence Against Women with Disabilities Grant Program from the Office of Violence Against Women (2016 Cohort).
- Contributed to local, regional, state-wide, and national initiatives examining issues of sexual and domestic violence (SDV) as they impact people with cognitive disabilities.
- Coordinated in-house accommodations requests and initial contact & explanations of services as the agency liaison to The MA Disabled Persons Protection Commission's Sexual Assault Response Unit.
- Increased staff and organizational capacity in working with survivors with disabilities through assessment, cross-agency collaboration, direct training, policy development, and strategic planning.
AUG 2016 - FEB 2017
- Partnered with community organizations and education communities, K-12 through adult learners, to increase awareness of issues in SDV, prevention efforts, and trauma informed care.
- Planned, designed, and implemented domestic & sexual violence to maintain compliance with MA Department of Health standards for 20J & 20K designated counselors corresponding with the 2017 RFR.
2014 - 2019 | Pawtucket, RI
- Designed, produced, and implemented online sexuality education series with dual professional and personal tracks and the AVN & XBIZ Award winning Sexual Health Certification series for Eldorado, Inc — a 16-lesson webinar series designed to provide adult retail associates with critical information about sexual wellbeing and needs from a pleasure lens.
- Launched rebrand of the Study Sex College Tour, a traveling sex education workshop program aimed at college students including marketing, lesson development, and brand identity cohesion.
- Recruited and supervised seasonal cohorts of up to 10 interns including training, assigning work duties, and providing developmental feedback.
Updated and delivered human rights and sexuality-related professional development trainings under supervision of Pat Carney. Training topics included overviews of human rights and care work, utilizing teachable moments, considerations around touch & professional boundaries, being a "trusted person who can help" as a support worker, and training of trainers in sexuality, relationships, and social skills education.
Acted as companion, facilitator, and assistant for adults with a range of disabilities, primarily with cognitive constraints, living in group homes. Supervised shift staff. The experience gathered in this role, which allowed intimate professional connections to develop, provided the me the opportunity share in life with those I supported and was instrumental in shaping my career.
Human Sexuality - MEd, 2014 from Widener University, Chester, PA
Human Services Advocacy - BA, 2011 from University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA